Thursday, February 18, 2016

World Cat Boats - definately one of my Favorites

I have been enjoying the use of a 26 foot Grady-White Catamaran the past 7 years. Its fitted with twin Yamaha 150HP 4 Stroke Outboards and the remarkable thing, the boat has never broken down. The ride is silky smooth as it slices through small waves and wakes like a knife thru butter. So its a pretty dry boat and I can even use this walk-around when it rains, as the wrap around plastic clear view screens gives adequate protection.


My experience with Power Cats has been more than positive. It is my honest opinion that the ride of a mono hull cannot match that of a multi-hull in small to moderate seas. Beyond sea state 3 or Beaufort Scale 4 almost all types of boats below 80 feet will struggle with holding a comfortable course. I have had the good fortune of cruising on-board mid-size cabin cruisers of 50 and 60 feet and I observe that they pitch and roll a lot more than the little Cat within Port Singapore in seas confused by the collision of waves and multiple wakes of a hundred passing ships. Obviously a heavier 60 footer would be more comfortable when cruising the South China Sea as a larger boat gives greater confidence and interior luxury.
One of the Power-Cats I've been studying for some years now is the World Cat. It's popular in the US. but hasn't made its way to Singapore yet. Check out this video.

  


Mono Hull or Cat....... This video will help you decide...




No comments:

Overland drive from Singapore to Bangkok and back - 21 May to 2 Jun 2023

Every once in a while, I feel the need to break out of my mandane routine and drive up north. Short trips are usually to Genting Highlands o...