Monday, October 5, 2015

What Does Boating Mean To You

I probably started boating in 1969, when I was 9 years old off Changi beach. My uncle Jeffrey was a keen angler and he sometimes brought me fishing on weekends. We would hire a wooden sampan and row to a nearby kelong to tie up. The fish we caught were small Pasir-Pasir on our hand-lines. I remember the water being shinning green. I loved those times. I wasn't afraid of being on the water as I had learnt to swim when I was 5 yrs old. My step father Derrick Coupland made it mandatory that all the children could swim.
Boating to me then was pure freedom. I enjoyed the outdoors immensely; the sun, sea and surf appealed to my adventurous spirit. Hence it was no surprise that I owned my own wooden sampan when I was 15. It was a 18 footer with a flat transom to mount an outboard motor. As I couldn't afford an outboard yet, I just used the oars to propel the vessel. From that humble beginning, I gradually advanced to ski boats, cuddy cabins and eventually to cabin cruisers. Not surprising, my early years led me to sign up with the Singapore Navy when it was time to serve National Service in 1978. In all I was a regular serviceman for 15yrs and a Reservists for another 17yrs.

I guess I will always be a boater as long as I live. I saw this American video about what boating means to most people, which I can relate to well. Enjoy it:

  


     

No comments:

Overland drive from Singapore to Bangkok and back - 21 May to 2 Jun 2023

Every once in a while, I feel the need to break out of my mandane routine and drive up north. Short trips are usually to Genting Highlands o...