Friday, March 14, 2014

Dreaming of Phuket

Running my Nautical School, Captain Francis Log has to be one of my fondest business achievements and happiest memories. Shortly after leaving the Singapore Navy on the 2nd Jan 1994, I set my sights on setting up such a training school for the chief purpose of imparting my nautical knowledge and love of the sea to students attending the Powered Pleasure Craft Driving Course (PPCDL). Although the school was a business, it had a lot of elements of fun and adventure in its activities and making money was the least of the priorities at that time. Little did I know then, that the school would flourish into a credible business and bless me financially . Apparently, when I left the Navy, I didn't just loose a job, I was just over broke and needed funds in order to buy boats, rent a classroom and pay staff. All the trappings of a business you might say. Well apart from the wonderfully attentive students I had and that grew to over 6,000, one of my fondest memories were the expeditions I led to exotic island destinations with the Albacores. These were my 28 foot center console inboard diesel boats that we used to journey to Pualau Aur, Tinggi and Tioman and most fondly to Phuket. What an adventure that was. I remember being drenched in sea spray from the day we left Singapore till 4 days later when we reached Au Chalong, Phuket. I will always remember those expeditions as the happiest days of my life. Here are some of the reasons why in pictures.

Scenes like this makes paradise on Earth without having to utter a single word

These Rock Islands make Phuket a paradise on Earth. Nothing beats the beauty of raw nature. 

I made all my trips to Phuket with Stephen Seow, founding owner of Dynaglass, seen here with Mark & me

A beautiful 12kg GT caught on pooper

Trip to Tioman with Tan Hua Chiow, Yeo Ngak Hoe, Robert Merah, Nicole & me at the helm 


Magnificent Bays like this are everywhere in Phuket

These long long-tail boats are the life-blood of transport for Phuket Island

Ko Racha, a stunningly beautiful island, 14nm south of Phuket & a popular resort for the rich & famous

Turquoise waters abound in shallow waters off isolated beaches 

The sandy beaches in Phuket is always clean and free of rubbish
        

No comments:

Overland drive from Singapore to Bangkok and back - 21 May to 2 Jun 2023

Every once in a while, I feel the need to break out of my mandane routine and drive up north. Short trips are usually to Genting Highlands o...