Friday, March 28, 2014

Balling your Anchor - Retrieval System if you don't have a winch

I usually fish onboard a 26 Footer Grady White Catamaran. It's a lovely boat for local waters and I enjoy the dry soft ride of this Cat. The space is perfect for 4 fishermen with a comfortable forward berth to catch a few winks and a nice little head for toilet emergencies. Everything about that boat is specially designed for fishing. The only setback is probably the anchor winch. It doesn't have one. So you have to haul up the 10kg anchor manually. That used to be no problem before, but age has finally caught up with me and it was time for a little innovation to make anchoring easier without the need for big muscles. So nowadays I use a round fender and the engine to bring up the anchor. This old school method is call balling your anchor. Here's a nice video that demonstrates balling perfectly. Enjoy.

  

No comments:

Overland drive from Singapore to Bangkok and back - 21 May to 2 Jun 2023

Every once in a while, I feel the need to break out of my mandane routine and drive up north. Short trips are usually to Genting Highlands o...