Tuesday, December 16, 2014

2014 Asian Summit at Pattaya

Roslyn & I left Singapore early on the 17th Nov. Instead of the usual route of driving straight to Hat Yai, we decided to make a stop at Ipoh to savor our favorite foods there. It would all be local fares at the open air food stalls that would only be opened at night. In the day, it's usually a car-park or a minor road. The conversion to a hawker center would take place every night subject to the mercy of the weather. If it rained heavily, the stalls would delay till the rained stopped.

My trusty 24 yr old Land Cruiser parked before the infamous IPOH sign atop a limestone hill, synonymous with the famous IPOH of old. Once a mining town, Ipoh is now a quiet town slowing emerging as a popular destination for local tourists. 

Roslyn doesn't like taking pictures. I caught her off guard this time resting inside the Land Cruiser sheltered from the heat of the day. If there's one thing she doesn't enjoy is direct sun. 
  
The journey from Hat Yai was very smooth. There was a little haze and some rain throughout which I was glad to have. Better that than the searing heat of the mid day sun. After 2 days at Hat Yai, we headed for the sleepy cowboy town of Chumphon for a night's transit before heading for the seaside tourist town of Hua Hin. What a huge difference that was, Hua Hin was bustling with everything touristy for which we were actually glad. I guess the highlight was horse riding on the beach during sunset. That was short and sweet.
We arrive at Pattaya after 4 days of smooth travelling. Total 2,100km; not a lot of distance really and I must say I thoroughly enjoyed the drive.

Arrived at Pattaya on the 4th day. The Asian Summit was held at the Royal Cliff Beach Resort. The slogan for that year's event - "The Power of Change" a very fitting message for what Synergy stands for.

My Land Cruiser parked below the window of my hotel room. I paid just S$240 for the room for 2 nights and they gave me a standard room the size of a suite. I was happy that I could see my car from the room. Although nobody in his right mind would steal it, I needed to keep it safe for the journey home.

Let the 2014 Asian Summit begin.... Lights, action, camera....


Ms Jenny Chen leading the Singapore Delegation. Incidentally it was the smallest contingent there for the 7th year running. Have to do something about that soon.

Always a joy to meet up with my Indonesian customers who have become good friends with me over the years. The baby is Ibu Lisa's fourth. She & her husband brought their 2 youngest to Pattaya.

That's me looking real fat in the photo. The beautiful ladies on my left are my top customers from Vietnam. I have yet to see a fat lady in Vietnam. Ironically Slim Shakes still sell well in Vietnam. I wonder why?

William Goh, my sailing buddy of 24yrs having a heavy session with our GM Lawrence Choo who overseas Singapore, Malaysia, Philippines and now Vietnam again.

Two of my very favorite people. Presidential Executive Mohd Rasyid & Indonesian GM Erwin Dumalang. We've worked together in the trenches for 10 years. From humble beginnings to a huge empire of customers & distributors spanning across the entire Indonesian Archipelago 
There were Koreans everywhere. 98% were ladies. Where have all the Korean men gone?  

The Olympic style opening of the Asian Summit

Add caption

Ms Lua - Binary is a balancing act indeed. You need to balance both legs

Scott, Ms Loan, Ms Lua & David Johnson. Bigger people are more gentle? Very true of Scot & David the perfect officer & a gentlemen.

Presidential Executive Mohd Rasyid & Indonesia GM Erwin Dumalang. Always smiling & always happy no matter what. 

Pearl Executive William Goh having a heavy session with S'pore GM Lawrence Choo.

Pearl Executive William Goh. His story from Debt to Riches from sickness to health is awe inspiring. 







No comments:

Overland drive from Singapore to Bangkok and back - 21 May to 2 Jun 2023

Every once in a while, I feel the need to break out of my mandane routine and drive up north. Short trips are usually to Genting Highlands o...