Sunday, May 13, 2012

Finding Shangri-La by Road


Dawn at Meili Mountains - 6,700mtrs

6 May 2012, we finally made it to Shangri-La Tibet, after spending months planing the trip with my cycling kakis. I had read James Hilton's novel titled "Lost Horizon" and also saw the movie version many years ago. It intrigued me to know of such a mystical place on earth. yet I knew it was too good to be true, especially in the 21st century.
When we finally arrived at Shangri-La, formerly known as Diqing, our guide, Tuden quickly told us that Shangri-La lies inside each person's heart. I knew by the tone of his voice, that he had his fair share of encounters with disillusioned tourists who fell under the spell of James Hilton's novel. It was a good thing I had done quite a bit of research and had lowered my expections before the trip.
In the end, I must say I throughly enjoyed my visit, because of the exceptional hospitatlity from the staff of Songtsam Lodges, who showed us the rustic but simple lives of true-blooded Tibetans when we visited their homes, rather than spend time in the new town of Shangri-La. It was facinating to know that they still lived much the same as their ancestors did a century ago. The dedication they gave to their families, the village and their monks is with the deepest sincerity & love for their people & culture. I wish the Tibetans continued bliss in their Shangri-La.

 Prayer Flags at 4,300 mtrs enroute to Meili Mountains
 Wearing the cowboy hats helped shield us from the blazing sun.  
 At Songtsam Lodge, Shangri-La
 Horse riding at Shangri-La with the local farmers
 The road to Deqin along a 200km stretch of trecherous mountaineous terrain
prone to rock slides   

Our 3 charming ladies at Lijiang Old Town

No comments:

Overland drive from Singapore to Bangkok and back - 21 May to 2 Jun 2023

Every once in a while, I feel the need to break out of my mandane routine and drive up north. Short trips are usually to Genting Highlands o...