Monday, April 11, 2016

The Boat Builders of Myanmar

Singapore and Malaysia may have advanced to fibreglass boats as the norm the last 35 years but luckily we still have neighbours who have stayed with wood for boat building. My first boat was a wooden sampan that cost me S$188. It was a 16 footer fitted with a borrowed Evinrude 4Hp Outboard. 4Hp is very fast compared to rowing. I loved that sampan. I spent many hours on the water each weekend exploring the East Coast of Singapore and visited the many kelongs located off Changi. Those kelongs are all gone now. Take a look at the traditional art of boat building from wood.
  

No comments:

Overland drive from Singapore to Bangkok and back - 21 May to 2 Jun 2023

Every once in a while, I feel the need to break out of my mandane routine and drive up north. Short trips are usually to Genting Highlands o...