Saturday, December 26, 2015

I built a Tree House when I was 14

As a kid, I always looked for adventure. Apart from school, we were not allowed to go out of the house without permission. We need a valid reason. That didn't always come easy. So I stayed home most weekdays. To occupy time, I started many projects. One of the most memorable ones was a tree house. I built it all on my own without the use of power tools. The main tool I still remember was a hammer. I would just love nailing everything. The most valuable advice I learnt was to blunt large nails before using them, so the wood wouldn't split. It was good advice that worked like a charm. The tree was a massive Flame-of the-forest. I took a few days to built the ladder to reach the main branches a long way up.

Many year have past since the tree house was built. I had many wonderful days up on that tree. It was exciting for a kid. Today the tree has been cut down and the house I once stayed in at 8 Upper Wilkie Road has been torn down and a beautiful house built in its place by the landlord's daughter.

The tree house I built was quite similar to the one pictured. It was very simple and didn't have a roof shelter.
Looks like the roof has collapsed. Everything above the ground floor was made of wood
This was my room window on the ground floor. Its raise as a basement ran underneath the entire house
It was a 2 story colonial bungalow that my father rented for less than $100 a month since 1964 
The old house being taken over by nature

Photos Courtesy of Jerome Lim who took them just in time before the house was torn down.















































































No comments:

Overland drive from Singapore to Bangkok and back - 21 May to 2 Jun 2023

Every once in a while, I feel the need to break out of my mandane routine and drive up north. Short trips are usually to Genting Highlands o...